Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Oscar Wilde

And by Oscar Wilde I mean Dorothy Parker.

Banal anecdote: The first time I heard the pun "You can lead a horticulture but you cannot make her think," this juicy bon mot was attributed to the king (or should I say queen?) of bons mots, Oscar Wilde. Ten years later, I heard the pun again, but this time the speaker was not Wilde but (correctly) Dorothy Parker. Not very interesting, right? Now read this poem, also by Parker:

"Oscar Wilde"

If, with the literate, I am
Impelled to try an epigram,
I never seek to take the credit;
We all assume that Oscar said it.

There are only two possibilities: Either Dorothy Parker traveled into the future, infiltrated my sophomore English class on the day that Mr. White told us the pun, then traveled back and wrote that poem.

Or: Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker are one and the same person:

Uncanny, no? Same hair. Same sad eyes. Same round chin. Same appreciation for handsome young men.

No comments:

Post a Comment